Course guidelines

IB Psychology II

2014 – 2015

Texts & supporting materials

• IB Psychology: A Course Companion by Crane & Hannibal
  • Inthinking website

This year’s content

Abnormal psychology (Option I: HL only)

• Definitions of abnormality
  • Diagnosis
  • Origins of depression and PTSD
  • Treatment of depression and PTSD

Human Relationships (Option II: HL and SL)

• Pro-social behaviour
  • Attraction, love and inter-personal relationships
  • Human sexuality
  • Bullying

Qualitative Research Methods Review  (HL only)

• Content analysis
  • Observational methods
  • Interviews and focus groups
  • Sampling methods
  • Issues of validity and reliability in qualitative research

Assessment

Assessments will be frequent in order to guarantee that you are keeping up with the material.  Quizzes may occur after any reading assignment.  The majority of the testing will be in the format of IB questions: essays, short answers, research analysis.

Our IA will be due before October break. It is 25% of your first semester grade. As suggested by the IB, class time will be allotted for the research and execution of your internal assessment.

Sundry Information

* Assignments are due in class unless otherwise specified.  If you hand it in at the end of the day, it is late.  Please do not email assignments to me unless you have first gotten permission.  This will only be allowed in very special circumstances.

*  All tests/quizzes must be written in blue or black ink.  Pencils are not acceptable.

*  Remember our tolerance rule. I want everyone to feel safe to say their own opinion.

*  Your final examination grade from last spring is your predicted grade for the time being.  Please do not try to negotiate your predicted grade for university applications; it makes both us uncomfortable.  Predictions will be re-assessed after the completion of your internal assessment.

*  If you would like to have me write a letter of recommendation for university applications, you must tell me before October break.  Please do not wait until the last minute and then expect me to write you a great recommendation.

* As you know, you may write me at any time with any questions/concerns that you may have.  My email is [email protected].

Last year we had a very good year together.  I am hoping that you have maintained your enthusiasm and that as a class we will have open and honest discussions of the material that we will be studying.

Here we go…..

John